Friday, April 20, 2018

A meatloaf so good that it was entirely devoured before I could get a good picture.


How many of you grew up eating meatloaf for dinner? I can’t really count myself as one of those people. My mom never made it and the term “meatloaf” always kind of sounded so gross and weird to me. But I ate it a few times at a friend’s house growing up and I have always loved spaghetti and meatballs (which is basically mini meatloaves) plus my boyfriend loves meatloaf, so when my brother asked to come over for dinner the other night, I decided to concoct my own recipe.
I started by doing lots of reading and most things I read I was expecting-- like the fact that almost every recipe contains ketchup (sounds weird but it so good). What I found surprising were recipes really heavy on the onion (i saw recipes with 3 onions and I thought that was just too much!) and no recipes containing sausage. I found this kind of weird. I mean, the best part of any meat sauce or meatball is the fact that it usually has some amount of ground sausage mixed in. This got me thinking: what if I make a meatloaf with a mixture of sausage AND ground beef? And let me tell you. It was damn good. Like so good that I couldn’t stop telling my brother and boyfriend at the dinner table,”this is so freaking good!” to which they were like, “we get it.”😂

Another thing that I changed was the use of herbs. Now most recipes call for a fair amount of fresh parsley and don’t worry— you guys know I love parsley and I didn’t leave it out! I decided to take the herb mixture one step further by adding herbs de provence and red pepper flakes. The herbs de provence add such deep aromatic flavor that was just out of this world!

Anyway, all I got was one sad picture that you can barely see the meatloaf in but I promise you won’t be disappointed if you try this one!


Said sad ass picture with one measly portion of my glorious meatloaf.

Ridiculously Good Meatloaf

1 1/2 lb ground beef (80% lean)
1/2 lb ground italian sausage
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1/3 cup chicken broth (low sodium)*
1 tbsp tomato paste*
1/4 cup ketchup*
3 tables spoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
1/2 bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
1 tbsp herbs de provence
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp pepper

*These three ingredients might sound strange but the use of all three ensure that the meatloaf stays super moist, so they are v important.


How to…

  • Preheat your oven to 350º Fahrenheit.
  • Combine all the ingredients except for the ketchup in a large mixing bowl. Using your clean hands (or a fork if you’d like) mix everything together until just combined. Be careful not to over work or knead the meat as it can cause it to become tough and that’s not what we want!
  • Using a rubber spatula, scoop the mixture into a light greased loaf pan and spread it evenly. Spread the ketchup on top of the meatloaf evenly— this keeps it vvvv moist.
  • Bake for 45 to an hour or until your meatloaf is cooked all the way through. Before cutting, allow the meatloaf to rest for 5 minutes. Serve with your favorite sides and ENJOY! :)

1 comment:

  1. Meatloaf so good, you almost forgot to take a picture! Will definitely try this. I always use both ground beef and ground sausage in my spaghetti, so why not in meatloaf? Can’t believe I never thought of this. Your veggies look so good, too!

    ReplyDelete